Monday, April 19, 2010

Beef Stew with Red Wine (recipe by Diana Rattray)


(the italicized text is actually my input into the recipe. all plain text is from Diana Rattray)

Today, I have decided to use the rest of the stew beef that Leonard had left over from last night. I googled recipes for beef stew and this one sounded the best!!!

Ingredients:
1 1/2 pounds stew beef
3/4 cup flour
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon seasoned salt
1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil or canola oil

1 to 2 medium carrots, sliced
2 ribs celery (I didnt use this cause I dont like celery...)
1 medium onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
2 cups beef broth
1 cup dry red wine, such as Pinot Noir or Cabernet Sauvignon
1/2 teaspoon fresh chopped rosemary, or a dash of crumbled dried rosemary
1 jar (15 ounces) small onions, or 10 to 16 ounces frozen small onions, thawed
1 box of egg noodles
butter
salt

Preparation: Trim stew beef and cut in small bite-size pieces. (I didnt cut up the meat, cause I dont like cutting meat!) Put in a food storage bag with the flour, onion powder, and seasoned salt; toss to coat well.


Heat oil in a large sauce pan, over medium heat. Add beef to hot oil, and cook, stirring until lightly browned.




Cut up the onion. I didnt dice the onion as the recipe says to, my eyes were watering too much, and plus I like the big onions!!!



Add the onion, and celery. (again, I didnt add the celery....ewe!!!)




Continue cooking, stirring for about 3 minutes.





Cut up the carrots, and minse the garlic. I didnt mince it, cause I dont have a mincer. I just cut it up.



Add carrots, garlic....





beef broth, wine...















and rosemary.




stir it up a little.











Bring it to a boil.








Reduce heat to low, and cover with a lid. Simmer for about 30 minutes.







While the stew is simmering, you can go ahead and
Drain the onions in the jar. Start the pot for the noodles as well.





fill a medium sauce pan with water, and add a dash of salt.
























When the water starts to boil, add the pasta.


































Cook the pasta until they are soft.














Add the drained onions to the stew, and continue simmering for 20 or 30 minutes, or until beef is tender.



















Serve with the freshly done noodles.
Delicious!!!!!













2 comments: